Reasons to Attend
Health care is undergoing a dramatic change from volume- to value-based care, with an emphasis on quality, population health outcomes and whole person care. By visiting the SCF campus in Anchorage, Alaska, you will learn about the award-winning system that has been providing value-based care for more than 30 years. Mini-course participants walk away with useful tools and methodologies unique to SCF’s Nuka System of Care to apply at their organizations.
This mini-course is a great opportunity if you are seeking proven solutions in a rapidly changing industry, want to see a vision for the future of health care, are interested in learning new professional and personal skills, or would like to network with Nuka experts. With past attendees ranging from executive leadership and board members to administrative support and educators, everyone will find something of interest when they attend this mini-course.
- Explore SCF’s population based approach for overcoming barriers to behavioral health care
- Examine key elements of redesign changes in behavioral health services, such as: immediate access with behavioral health consultants, co-location of psychiatry in Primary Care, learning circles and community case management
INTEGRATED CARE TEAMS
- Describe different workflow models and their impact on care delivery
- Illustrate different integrated care team roles and their contributions
- Review health and performance indicators for integrated care teams
FAMILY WELLNESS WARRIORS INITIATIVE (FWWI)
FWWI is SCF’s program that seeks to address the devastating problems of domestic violence, abuse, and neglect in the Alaska Native community.
- Recognize the purpose and goals of FWWI
- Survey the FWWI process of large group and small group sessions
- Discuss how these session types help participants connect with topics such as anger, recovery, responding disappointments, shame and relational styles
- Explore SCF’s focus on work design and how success is driven by hiring the right people
- Examine the SCF HR Department’s use of the relationship-based model
- Learn about the Nuka System of Care’s approach to performance management
- Connect SCF’s learning and development approach to its mission, vision and corporate initiatives
- Examine SCF’s learning and development philosophy
- Describe SCF’s learning and development structures, processes and workforce support
- Examine SCF’s journey toward data management
- Review key steps necessary when thinking about building your own Data Services Department
- Explain the Data Information Request Tool and how it supports SCF’s work prioritization process
IMPROVEMENT PLANNING AND TOOLS
- Define improvement culture
- Describe the organizational structure of improvement as part of the Nuka System of Care
- Determine how accessing the voice of the customer helps the improvement cycle
- Listen to customer-owner stories and reflections on the Nuka System of Care
An SCF-led, post-site visit survey was conducted after a 2016 visit with 20 responses, which was a 100 percent response rate.
I will try learning circles with my acupuncture group. Work to change culture + incorporate principles into training. Add more “team” questions to hiring interviews.
The most significant change for myself came in June, 2016 when I attended the general conference. Your model of care was a “no brainer.” I appreciate your fortitude to continue on this path that will ultimately facilitate healthy outcomes for your people.
I absolutely loved that I was able to have access to a tangible model that I have been fighting to implement in my community for the last 3.5 years. I had a vision and now because of SCF, I have the guidance.
I very much enjoyed the opportunity to meet others interested in this way of working within healthcare and having discussions around the transferability of the system. Additionally, the FWWI and Traditional Healing sessions were particularly interesting and genuinely moving.
On which tools or techniques participants learned and would like to use at their organization, one participant responded:
- learning circles
- developing integrated teams & behaviorists in primary care
- concept of de-officing of providers + whole organization
- different language which we will adapt locally
- different narrative
- ‘voice’ culture, walking in partnership
Can’t wait for core concepts! Thanks for sharing your profound work!
Thanks so much for your friendly, enthusiastic sharing of your processes, organization, successes + struggles. The group of folks who led the presentations were warm, friendly and knowledgeable, it was a pleasure to come and learn with you
Alaska is magical, Nuka is inspiring.
This was amazing!! Food was fantastic + the presenter so personal, knowledgeable + “pain point” questions and transparency around lessons learned, That makes the journey for others much less daunting.
- 100 percent found provided materials to be valuable professionally
- 100 percent found information provided to be useful professionally
- 85 percent felt tours improved understanding of the Nuka System of Care
- 100 percent would aspire to do things differently, professionally or personally, because of this site visit
- 100 percent plan to use information from the site visit to improve their own agency
- 100 percent feel they can do their job better as a result of attending the site visit
- 100 percent would recommend a SCF site visit to colleagues
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled mini-courses, SCF offers fully customizable Site Visits with similar content. For more information or to schedule your Site Visit, please contact us.