Southcentral Foundation COVID-19 Vaccination Articles/Media
- Southcentral Foundation opens COVID-19 vaccines to all Alaskans 40 and up, teachers and child care workers: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/03/01/southcentral-foundation-opens-covid-19-vaccines-to-all-alaskans-40-and-up-teachers-and-child-care-workers/
- Southcentral Foundation opens COVID-19 vaccine appointments to Alaskans 16 and older: https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/03/10/southcentral-foundation-opens-covid-19-vaccine-appointments-to-alaskans-16-and-older/
- At Anchorage’s Brother Francis Shelter, a COVID-19 vaccine clinic is a cause for hope: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2021/03/10/at-brother-francis-shelter-a-covid-19-vaccine-clinic-is-a-cause-for-hope/
- More than half of Brother Francis guests will be fully vaccinated by next week: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/03/05/more-than-half-of-brother-francis-guests-will-be-fully-vaccinated-by-next-week/
- CNN article: Tribal health providers have figured out the key to Covid-19 vaccine success. Here’s their secret – CNN
- Southcentral Foundation offers COVID-19 vaccinations to those 18 and older: https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/01/15/southcentral-foundation-offers-covid-19-vaccinations-to-those-18-and-older/
- Tribal health groups are vaccinating teens and healthy adults against COVID-19, which hits Alaska Native people at disproportionate rates: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021/01/15/tribal-health-groups-are-already-vaccinating-teens-and-healthy-adults-for-covid-19-a-virus-that-sickens-alaska-native-people-at-disproportionate-rates/?fbclid=IwAR31aumc9eoyla7r-G6rpFFVMYNvAYh3sb0UNUM0gL5c561mGxctWrkuc5o
- Little Shell leaders plan to model the clinic after an Alaska Native-ownednonprofit called Southcentral Foundation that has been emulated by other tribes, including the Eastern Cherokee in North Carolina.: Spurred by pandemic, Little Shell Tribe fast-tracks its health service debut (news-medical.net)
Southcentral Foundation - Rural
- PHOTOS: How 9 Health Workers Stay Strong In A Pandemic Year: PHOTOS: How A Pandemic Year Tests The Strength Of 9 Health Workers : Goats and Soda : NPR
- In Lake Iliamna communities, COVID-19 vaccines could be available to everyone within a month: In Lake Iliamna communities, COVID-19 vaccines could be available to everyone within a month – The Bristol Bay Times (thedutchharborfisherman.com)
- Article about villages in Alaska with no cases of COVID, safety measures, and vaccination efforts. St. Paul highlighted.: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/02/25/unscathed-these-alaska-villages-have-seen-no-covid-19-cases-and-some-are-nearing-herd-immunity/?fbclid=IwAR3HDZNK6F1rvaoqZnziXKjXpi3Cnh1AV47py7dRhFQ8ZTSPHzWXljZXWKY
- Bristol Bay’s health care providers gear up to vaccinate people 65 and older: https://www.kdlg.org/post/bristol-bays-health-care-providers-gear-vaccinate-people-65-and-older#stream/0
- Unscathed: These Alaska villages are reaching herd immunity — without a single case of COVID-19: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/02/25/unscathed-these-alaska-villages-have-seen-no-covid-19-cases-and-some-are-nearing-herd-immunity/
- Bristol Bay’s first COVID-19 vaccines to be administered Wednesday: https://www.kdlg.org/post/bristol-bays-first-covid-19-vaccines-be-administered-wednesday#stream/0
- Nearly a quarter of Bristol Bay residents have received both doses of Moderna vaccine: https://www.kdlg.org/post/nearly-quarter-bristol-bay-residents-have-received-both-doses-moderna-vaccine#stream/0
- Aboard the flight that day, a beacon of hope had arrived: An employee from Southcentral Foundation who hand-carried the community’s second batch of COVID-19 vaccines.: ‘The New Balto’: Alaska’s fight against COVID-19 takes to the skies – Anchorage Daily News (adn.com)
Alaska Tribal Health
- Alaska Drops eligibility requirements for COVID-19 vaccines: https://www.modernhealthcare.com/politics-policy/alaska-drops-eligibility-requirements-covid-19-vaccines
- Alaska Leads COVID-19 Vaccination Efforts by Coordinating With Tribes and Receiving Territory Vaccine Allocations: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2021-03-09/q-a-how-alaska-is-leading-in-covid-19-vaccination-efforts
- Indian Health Services Is an Unsung Hero of the COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout: https://www.verywellhealth.com/indian-health-services-covid-vaccine-rollout-5115845
- Covid-19: Alaska Becomes First State To Open Vaccine Access to Everyone 16 and Older: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/09/world/covid-19-coronavirus#covid-19-vaccine-alaska
- Why Alaska has the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate of all 50 states: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/01/22/why-alaska-has-the-highest-covid-19-vaccination-rate-of-all-50-states/
- How Alaska managed to vaccinate residents at higher rates than any other state: https://19thnews.org/2021/03/alaska-vaccine-distribution-lisa-murkowski-anne-zink/
- Tribes are racing ahead of vaccination curve: https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/tribes-are-racing-ahead-of-vaccination-curve
- The Trump administration joined with tribes to get vaccines to rural and Indigenous Alaskans. Here’s how.: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/01/14/the-trump-administration-joined-with-tribes-to-get-vaccines-to-rural-and-indigenous-alaskans-heres-how/
- How is Alaska leading the nation in vaccinating residents? With boats, ferries, planes and snowmobiles.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/04/alaska-vaccine-covid-remote/
- Alaska’s Remote Villages Race Against Time and History: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/us/alaska-villages-covid-deaths-vaccines.html
- ‘This is our shot’: Alaska will be first state to offer COVID-19 vaccines to all adults: https://www.ktoo.org/2021/03/09/watch-gov-dunleavy-and-state-health-officials-give-update-on-covid-19-vaccine/
- Icy, Remote Alaska Has an Edge in Covid Vaccination: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-09/why-alaska-is-winning-the-covid-vaccine-race
- The Rural Alaskan Towns Leading the Country in Vaccine Distribution: https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/the-rural-alaskan-towns-leading-the-country-in-vaccine-distribution
- Rural Alaska is getting Covid-19 vaccinations right. Here’s what the rest of the US can learn: Rural Alaska is getting Covid-19 vaccinations right. Here’s what the rest of the US can learn – CNN
- Alaska’s vaccination systems are thriving in small villages: https://www.today.com/video/alaska-s-vaccination-systems-are-thriving-in-small-villages-101763141678
- Bethel has become possibly the only place in the U.S. where you can go to the store to pick up dinner and get a COVID-19 vaccine, no appointment needed. The Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp. is offering the vaccines at both the AC and Swanson’s grocery stores.: https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/02/26/how-alaskas-yukon-kuskokwim-delta-became-one-of-the-nations-covid-19-vaccination-leaders/?fbclid=IwAR2vZb8PDUn3R7GeakbDm_BBopIbn4Kxvrq6gRZlGRkLsom7ApZx0mJEuP4
- All-female team delivers COVID-19 vaccines by snowmobile in harshest of conditions in rural Alaska: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/wellness/story/female-team-delivers-covid-19-vaccines-snowmobile-harshest-75229506
- This mom from a small Alaskan village isolated for 10 weeks to safely give birth to twins amid COVID-19: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/wellness/story/mom-small-alaskan-village-isolated-10-weeks-safely-75913350
Med student spends time in Alaska as part of tribal medicine training
This article describes medical student Ashton Glover Gatewood, spending time in Wasilla, Alaska, treating patients and learning from physicians at the Benteh Nuutah Valley Native Primary Care Center to see the difference from her time in tribal health facilities in Oklahoma.
Stories that Heal
This article describes a participant’s experience with SCF and learned the importance of connections of story, relationships, and choices.
Human Systems for Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care
One of two case studies of SCF’s Nuka System of Care by Harvard Medical School. This study examines SCF’s history, expansion, and leadership, as well as SCF’s organizational culture and human resource infrastructure.
Behavioral Health and Financing for Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care
One of two case studies of SCF’s Nuka System of Care by Harvard Medical School. This study examines SCF’s team model, data support, and physical infrastructure as it pertains to primary care delivery, as well as behavioral health integration and financing for SCF.
Relativistic Healthcare Improvement
Steve Tierney, Southcentral Foundation’s Senior Medical Director of Quality Improvement, writes about the health care industry’s current approach to improvement for Med Tech Outlook.
The Case For Delivering Whole-Person Care: High-Quality, Cost-Effective Health Care for Strong Systems
The Case for Delivering Whole-Person Health Care details how shifting treatment practices to an integrative approach that mixes evidence-based conventional medicine, non-drug treatments, and self-care can help achieve far-reaching systemic improvements.
Native-owned healthcare makes a difference in Alaska
This article describes the history and current practice of Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care from a customer-owner perspective.
How CEOs Can Create Healthcare Balanced on the Needs of Their Employees
CEO of Orriant shares Southcentral Foundation’s exciting innovations in healthcare.
An Aspirational Healthcare webinar highlights SCF’s Nuka System of Care as an opportunity for other health care organizations to improve health outcomes and reduce costs.
How to Build the Foundations for Community-Based Crisis Response
Leaders from the Southcentral Foundation recently spoke to members of the IHI Leadership Alliance and credited the strong partnership between Alaska Native communities and the tribal health system for their impressive COVID-19 vaccination rates.
Spurred by Pandemic, Little Shell Tribe Fast-Tracks Its Health Service Debut
A Kaiser Health News article about how Little Shell leaders plan to model their clinic after Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System.
Tribal health providers have figured out the key to Covid-19 vaccine success
A CNN article attributing the organization’s smooth vaccine rollout so far to the Native people in southern central Alaska, who developed a community-focused health care system that in turn was able to plan for how to get vaccines even to people in challenging terrains.
NIH and Alaska Native leaders identify how to achieve socially responsible genomics research
A workshop led by Alaska Native people provides a path towards collaborative, community-driven genomics research.
The Quiet Revolution
A film by David Gruben introducing a diverse group of doctors, nurses, and health care professionals who are transforming the way we receive our medical care: lowering costs by placing the patient at the center of their practice.
Reimagining Patient Engagement in a Value-Based Care Delivery System
Patient engagement reimagined has driven a new value-based care delivery model supporting population health in Alaska Native and American Indian peoples.
How CEOs Can Transform Healthcare To Encourage A Healthy Workforce
A Forbes article mentioning Southcentral Foundation’s system of care
COVID Has Made the Office Visit a Dinosaur
An article written by IHI Leadership Alliance
Reshaping Healthcare: What We Can Learn From Alaska
Blog by William H. Bestermann, JR, MD on how others can learn from Southcentral Foundation’s model. Don Berwick identifies SCF as the best reorganization of health care in the country.
The Healing Power of Soldier’s Heart
An Anchorage Daily News article on how Southcentral Foundation’s Soldier’s Heart program is designed to help veterans and first responders cope with the stressors of their jobs.
The Problem with U.S. Health Care Isn’t a Shortage of Doctors
A Harvard Business Review Magazine article discusses how Southcentral Foundation is part of a number of top U.S. physician groups who have shown the ability to reduce ER visits and hospital admissions profitably under payment systems that reward better care management.
Indigenous-led Health Care Partnerships in Canada
An article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal analyzes how indigenous-led healing movements are improving health equity for indigenous peoples in Canada. The Nuka system is mentioned as an example of a successful indigenous-led health system.
Integrating Specialty Care into Primary Care: The Nuka Approach
An overview of Southcentral Foundation’s gradual approach to integrating specialty services with primary care by the BC Medical Journal.
Radio story from the BBC UK discussing the challenges of remote and rural healthcare
Taking inspiration from indigenous tribes in Alaska, the Nuka model has been adapted for the Small Isles with a high level of community engagement.
How the Eastern Cherokee in North Carolina use casino profits to revamp health care
The Charlotte Observer reports on how Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care helped the the North Carolina Cherokee people adopt an integrated care model to deliver care that not only improves patients’ health, but also is tailor-made for the needs of the tribe.
Storytelling is the best medicine, doctor touts Nuka System of Care
Dr. Terry Simpson talks with Morning Line host Danny Preston on June 19, 2019, about the 9th annual Nuka System of Care Conference
Alaskan Health Care Redesign Experts Hold Conference in Napier
Hawke’s Bay District Health Board, Ng’ati Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated and the wider Hawke’s Bay health system warmly welcomed Southcentral Foundation to host a conference at Napier’s Conference Centre.
Giants Among Men
Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient Southcentral Foundation picks up its second honor.
Yellowhawk Opens New Tribal Health Facility
The East Oregonian reports on how the Nuka System of Care helps with the new Yellowhawk Tribal Health Center.
On the Road with Cherokee Indian Hospital
The Beryl Institute reports on how Southcentral Foundation helped to guide the redesign of Cherokee Indian Hospital’s Primary Care delivery.
We Owe Our Nation Something Different
Amy Compton-Phillips, MD, Executive Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer for Providence St. Joseph Health and Theme Leader for NEJM Catalyst shares how Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care is an example of how to address behavioral health needs within the primary care setting.
Love and Excellence
Here are six themes that led five organizations on their Baldrige journeys
Skidegate breaks ground for new health and wellness centre
The open-concept of Southcentral Foundation helped inspire the new Skidegate Health and Wellness Centre which features ocean-facing windows and an open, welcoming interior.
Call for Nuka system to be rolled out to benefit Fife patients
TheCourier.co.uk reports on how the Nuka System of Care inspired an overhaul of GP services which could put an end to three week delays for appointments.
The Doctor Will Analyze You Now
Politico reporter Joanne Silberner details the SCF Nuka System of Care’s approach to behavioral health integration and integrated care teams and the impact this approach has had on health care outcomes and cost savings.
Native Wisdom Is Revolutionizing Health Care
Shari Huhndorf writes about how Southcentral Foundation has vastly improved Alaska Native welfare by integrating traditional healing practices into health care while saving on costs
Natural Beauty: Cherokee Indian Hospital
Cherokee Indian Hospital first turned to Southcentral Foundation for inspiration
Nuka-style models of primary healthcare
Maxine Jones, an associate with the International Future Forum, expands upon her efforts in introducing a Nuka-style model of care in Scotland.
Introducing Nuka in Scotland: Reflections of a scrambled innovator
Maxine Jones, an associate with the International Future Forum, provides examples of challenges and solutions to patient-centered holistic care, based on SCF’s Nuka System of Care.
Exclusive: GP practice averts crisis after adopting Alaskan primary care model
Maxine Jones, an associate with the International Future Forum, explains SCF’s use of advanced nurse practitioners, which was adapted in Scotland to alleviate the demand and strain general practitioners (GP) tend to experience.
Grantmakers In Health Case Study
Eileen Salinsky, Grantmakers In Health reports on the Nuka System of Care
Sustainability and Transformation Plans – what they mean for the NHS
The King’s Fund reveals the opportunities and challenges of creating and implementing NHS STPs
Senator Dan Sullivan Talks to the Press about Alaska’s Opioid Crisis
The goal [of the summit] was to bring people hope, to show them they’re not alone, to erase the stigma of addiction, to educate people and to bring awareness to the community.
An Uphill Battle – challenges of treating opioid addiction
Dr. Aryeh Levenson developed the opiate treatment program for Southcentral Foundation and his experience in treating addiction has made him acutely aware of the complex issues driving opioid use.
The Kings Fund: “Intentional whole health system redesign”
A case study and video series featuring Southcentral Foundation leadership on whole system transformation
The Society for Organizational Learning: “Healthcare at Its Best: Southcentral Foundation’s Core Concepts Training”
This article in The Society for Organizational Learning highlights Southcentral Foundation’s relationship-based Core Concepts Workshop.
The New York Times editorial: “A Formula for Cutting Health Costs,” focuses on Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care
Read how SCF is a model for other health care organizations.
The Oregonian cover article: “Alaska Native Medical Center a Model for Curbing Costs, Improving Health”
This final series article on Alaska Native and American Indian health and wellness highlights Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care.
Center for the Health Professions Research, UCSF Research Brief
This case study featured in the Center for the Health Professions, UCSF Research Brief uses Southcentral Foundation’s Nuka System of Care as a model for other health care organizations.
Family Practice Management – “Transforming Your Practice: What Matters Most”
This article, featured in American Academy of Family Physicians’ Family Practice Management Journal, highlights the approach taken by Southcentral Foundation.